AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Making hamburger jerky
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 5/6/2024 23:38 (#10731436 - in reply to #10731272)
Subject: Coffee flavor jerky

Pittsburg, Kansas

I don't know that it is anything special. I think wife found it on the internet and adapted it somwhat. She does that all the time with recipes, adapts them to our low carb wy of eating.

It has for 1# hamburger:
1/2 tablespoon of each of the following:
Black pepper
Onion Powder
Garlic Powder
  Plus:
One teaspoon of salt (but we decided it needed to be double that for our taste. We eat low carb and can use a lot more salt than many people.)
One tablespoon of cumin
A double shot of expresso at about 2 oz or a little more. 25 second extraction.
One tablespoon of liquid smoke.

That is it. Mix all together. spread out a quarter inch thick or thinner. We did 6 hours at 165 degrees. Turned out great but not all that spicy.  Only very mildly coffee flavor. The recipe called for smoked paprica and ancho chili but we did not have that on hand so did not put that in.

I described how she spread it out and flipped it over onto the rack previously. Not a lot of coffee flavor really. I would say that if you didn't even mention it to a person, they might not even notice the coffee taste. But knowing it is there and comparing it to the other recipes can definitely tell. The recipe on the internet calls for ground coffee but we had the espresso machine sitting there and just decided it would blend better as a liquid. Might have more pronounced coffee flavor had we used the ground coffee rather than the liquid espresso.

Edited by John Burns 5/6/2024 23:48

(20240420_203737 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20240420_203737 (full).jpg (98KB - 25 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)