AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Backup ground-speed source
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/17/2024 06:03 (#10742428 - in reply to #10742199)
Subject: RE: Backup ground-speed source

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Hearing about the solar flare problems of last week, I thought about our situation. We have a ground drive planter and still have the original markers on the planter so we could plant old school. With a complete loss of GPS and GPS speed, we could use a backup speed source such as you mention. A choice would be some type of ground driven sensor or an actual radar gun. One of those Hockey pucks would not be an option in that situation since it would likely not work either.

We also spray with the planter so ground speed is used in that respect and also for population monitoring. We have auto swath for section control so that would not work as before. My plan was going to be to use a self-test speed and attempt to drive that speed. We should have been able to plant and spray although without the extra features that we have become accustomed to using.

Since the majority of our fields are reasonably large, rectangular and flat, we would be in a better position than many others.

Fortunately we did not have any GPS problems and both our tillage tractor with auto steer and the planter tractor/planter worked fine.

Edited by tedbear 5/17/2024 06:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)