AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dealer Shop Labor Rates - Birkey's
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

c_mayer
Posted 5/17/2024 17:32 (#10743148 - in reply to #10743103)
Subject: RE: Dealer Shop Labor Rates - Birkey's

Jeffersonville, OH
redoak - 5/17/2024 17:37
Just the way things are anymore .

Chris way back in the 70 s there was a study of shop rates and profits for major equipment dealers ...Short story , so many unbillable hours that many were losing money on shop side. Now profit was in parts ,especially harvesters and planters...Everything is expensive for everybody today

I am 100% sure my shop is not profitable, likely due to our book keeping, but our main goal again is to provide value to our customers. Sure, I want to make money, but there are a lot of ways to do that. My shop, shop equipment, and service trucks are a necessary expense that pay back in multiple ways, even if I don't do the paperwork to make it stand on it's own.

We do not bill ourselves internally for labor and shop work...meaning, if my Sales guys take a trade, and we have to do something to it, we track the parts, but I don't bill the sales department for the labor. I know what it cost me, and so does my brother...so why pay our people to track it in the middle. Now, that only works because we are both here and able to keep up with things...if a time comes we can't, and need to put in more people to do so, then we will have to change our practices to make sure we are covering what we need to cover.

For us, tracking things like bigger/corporate store is taking money from our left pocket, paying someone to count it and track it, and putting it in our right pocket.
Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)