AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Market vibes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ZCZFarmer
Posted 5/18/2024 06:30 (#10743547 - in reply to #10743396)
Subject: RE: Market vibes

Minnesota
I would agree with this mostly, but would also add that in a large portion of the Iowa, Minnosota, South Dakota, North Dakota, etc... area one of the biggest factors affecting yield in my opinion is the weather in May and June. If we have a spring like we've had so far and looks to continue, top yields in fields will be gone. It's the low lying, pattern tiled, heavy dirt areas of a farm that are capable of pushing field averages to very high levels. If in a year like this we lose stand during emergence in those areas, we have strike 1. Now we are threatening to put strike 2 on those areas by keeping it saturated, anaerobic, and in some cases flooded. Not sure what strike 3 would be on those areas but lets just say that they aren't going to be the top areas of the fields that are needed to pull averages up. Planting progress and pace will get to be a problem based on the forecast. Though I believe a large number of the corn acres are in, there is still corn to plant and when added up across 4-5 states, could be significant. With planting dates in the north coming up rather quickly, the wet forecast will bring producers to face those decisions. It appears to have improved out East as far as an outlook goes, but I know around here it would take several nice clear days before a guy could consider planting some of these fields as well and I can't believe it would be much different there either. The QPF is not friendly for IA, NE, MN, and portions of SD.

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif?1716031728
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)