AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New hog barn opportunities
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Green Acres Guy
Posted 5/20/2024 16:06 (#10745854 - in reply to #10745044)
Subject: RE: New hog barn opportunities

Latimer, Iowa (north central)
Valid points. Will say if you have a farm corporation that there are ways of getting around the majority of the social security implications. Not sure how it would work with an LLC. May want to consider a separate entity owning the site and having the contract for these and other reasons.

Read the contract but also realize its just a piece of paper. If the integrator decides they want to make a change they will be able to find a way out of the contract. We have had a integrator go bankrupt. But we had a contract.... good luck getting blood from a turnip.

We had an integrator get a new vet that knew everything. Fresh state graduate... We have natural ventilation barns that were in the top 25% of sites they had, and had been for 8 years. New vet says they have to be remodeled to tunnel vent and tunnel vent anytime it is over 64 degree outside. We said no. Guess what, suddenly we were not meeting there new standards of barn design and contract was voided.

Your "area man" will have to biggest part of whether it is an enjoyable experience or not. We have had some great ones and some that were S.O.B.'s

Had a college intern vet from the same state school as previously mentioned. She came out one time on a random site visit and somehow decided that the pigs had African Swine Fever because she saw a pig vomit when walking through. (This was right during that hysteria) I was there at the time, and said that is normal for one pig out of 2500 to cough some feed up. I said have been choring pigs for 30 years, no issue. There was nothing at all wrong with the pigs. Long story short, she said African Swine Fever and went into a whole tizzy about quarantining and the USDA and infectious diseases labs needing to be called. I gave up, and told her to call her boss, who then decided that, since she was in vet school to go with her thoughts, who then called his boss who called me, asked what was going on. I explained situation, he told me to give her the phone. She talked to him, hung up, didnt say much of anything to me, and then got in her car and drove away. Never saw her again and pigs did not have swine fever.

Just be ready for anything.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)